- Practice Areas
Born in Regina, Saskatchewan as the son of a Canadian soldier and a teacher, Jonathan graduated with degrees in business (finance/marketing) and law at age 24. Jonathan moved to Calgary after graduation and was called to the Alberta bar in 2001 and quickly became a key member of one of Canada’s top ten national law firms.
Jonathan was elected MLA for Calgary-Acadia (formerly Calgary-Egmont) in 2008 and re-elected in 2012. In addition to his duties as a legislator, Jonathan served in several senior cabinet roles, including Parliamentary Assistant for Energy, Minister of Housing & Urban Affairs, Solicitor General & Minister of Public Security, Provincial Secretary, Minister of Justice & Attorney General, and Government House Leader.
Some of Jonathan’s accomplishments while in the provincial government include:
- Introducing a new set of Rules of Court;
- Funding new police positions to Alberta cities;
- Reducing department spending by 39% while still achieving ministry goals;
- Passing civil forfeiture legislation for the seizure of proceeds of crime;
- Improving access to justice by raising the limit at Provincial Court (Civil Division) to $50,000.00;
- Amending election statutes to require better public disclosure of contributions; and
- Passing legislation to crack down on impaired drivers.
Since returning to the private sector in 2015, Jonathan founded Guardian Law Group LLP with Donna Gee.
A recognized authority in politics and governance, Jonathan is frequently invited as a guest speaker to organizations and charities. Jonathan has received numerous accolades in his career, including being named to the Queen’s Counsel of Alberta and one of Avenue Magazine’s “Top 40 under 40” (when he was under 40).
Jonathan has a rare practice in campaigns and elections law. He has acted as lead counsel on several judicial recounts and his clients have included sitting Members of Parliament, Members of the Legislative Assembly, and city councilors.
Jonathan is married to Liisa (the love of his life).
- Bachelor of Administration – University of Regina (1997)
- Juris Doctor – University of Saskatchewan (2000)
- ICD.D Director’s Education – Rotman School of Business – University of Toronto (2018)
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) – University of Arizona (awaiting convocation)
Date Called to Bar
Date Obtained Q.C
- Law Society of Alberta
- Alberta Civil Trial Lawyers’ Association (ACTLA) – Government relations chair
- Director, High Ground Cannabis (medicinal cannabis producer)
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Serious Personal Injury
- Public Affairs
- Government Relations
- Defamation Law
- Insurance Claims
- Former two-term MLA
- Former senior cabinet minister, most notably as Minister of Justice & Solicitor General
In the Media
- A better standard of care needs to be established for private and public senior facilities
- Guilty or not guilty? Eight Canadian experts deliver their Trump impeachment verdicts
- Five former Attorneys General call for RCMP probe into SNC-Lavalin affair
- Support of Clare’s Law to prevent domestic abuse
- Newspaper settles lawsuit, retracts calling politician racist
- A class-action lawsuit filed against operators of McKenzie Towne care home
- Limo Driver injured
- Column: Defend – not defund – our police
- Daughters of McKenzie Towne Continuing Care Centre resident file wrongful death suit
- Victims of Calgary teacher's alleged sexual assault file lawsuit
- Fundraiser for the local charities
- Instructor of Articling Students – Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education (CPLED)