Defamation Law Lawyers in Calgary
Helping You Understand Your Options in Alberta and Beyond
Defamation is the publication or dissemination of untrue statement(s) that have the ability to damage a person’s reputation.
There are two main categories of defamation:
- Libel, which is when the defamation is printed. This can include publication in a newspaper, on a website, or on social media (including Facebook and Twitter).
- Slander, which is when the defamation is stated verbally. (In order to qualify under this definition, the defamatory words must have been heard by at least one other person.)
Defamation in Alberta is governed by the Defamation Act. In recent years, online defamation has become the increasing subject of litigation as what is often stated on the internet can subsist for years and continue to cause damage to you or your business.
Defamation is a very technical area of public affairs law and it is highly recommended that you contact a lawyer immediately upon discovery of any injurious statements about you or your business. There are also specific timelines that must be followed and, often, if a person who is defamed waits too long, they may be barred from taking any action.
Our firm has successfully represented numerous clients to advance defamation actions as well as defend them. Some of our past cases have included:
- Former UCP hopeful Cyndy Morin wins defamation case against NDP
- Canadian student newspaper settles lawsuit, retracts calling politician racist
Contact Guardian Law Group LLP today to learn more about your unique situation with our Calgary defamation lawyers.
Check Out Our FAQ Page for Answers to the Following Questions:
- What defenses are there to defamation?
- My company has been defamed. What are my rights?
- Is defamation a criminal matter?
- What are the damages for defamation?
- Someone defamed me online and I don’t know who did it. What do I do?
- Can a Court force a Defendant to apologize for defamation?
If you have more questions, we have answers. Call us at (403) 800-7768 today to speak to our defamation lawyers in Calgary.
High level of transparency and integrity. Top-notch customer service.” - Nancy B.
Highly recommend Jonathan Denis! the amazing firm, great people! He helped me get through a really tough part of my life, and I couldn't be more thankful for him.” - Stephanie R.
We rely on connections, resources, and past experiences to help our clients through difficult times.
We take the time to walk our clients through all steps in their process.
We will educate you and provide trainings to make sure you understand the entire process.