Mr. Souster is a licensed and practicing lawyer in the City of Calgary, Alberta since 1999. Mr. Souster graduated from the University of Calgary with a B.A. in Psychology and received his LLB from the University of Alberta in 1998. Mr. Souster has practiced at a variety of firms over the years gaining invaluable experience that he utilized to establish his own generalized legal practice in 2008.
Mr. Souster has had the honour to be an instructor and guest speaker at Mount Royal University, Bow Valley College, the Alberta Government, and the Calgary Bar Association. He has also been a guest and key-note speaker on numerous occasions for the Calgary Residential Rental Association, various non-profit organizations, and has been featured numerous times in local publications and on local and national television.
Mr. Souster sits on several committees and is currently on the board of directors for the Bowmont Boxing Club, and the Calgary Residential Rental Association.
BA Psychology 1995 - University of Calgary
LLB 1998 - University of Alberta
DATE CALLED TO THE BAR
- Instructor: Mortgage Brokers course (Mount Royal College) 2003 – 2006
- Instruction and presentations at dozens of Seminars, Luncheons, and trade-shows on residential tenancies, real-estate conveyancing, and condominium matters.
- Guest speaker for Calgary Bar Association – Real Estate subsection – tenancy issues in residential conveyancing (2005).
- Instructor/Speaker for Alberta Government Services – litigation procedure in Alberta.
- Member of committee to develop voluntary code of ethics for landlords in Alberta
- Author of quarterly column “Ask the lawyer” Calgary Apartment Association (CAA) Rental Review publication 2001 – present.
- CRRA - member of education committee since 2003
- Board of Directors 2002 to present
- Regular speaker and presenter at CRRA seminars
- Committee member for development of Residential Tenancy Course for RECA (2006), and Instructor of course – July 21, 2007 to present.
- Head of steering committee for by-law amendment and code of ethics for CRRA
- Legal consultant and committee member for industry input into affordable housing task-force.
- Legal consultant, committee member, and industry liaison for Alternative Dispute Resolution Pilot project for residential tenancy disputes.
- Legal Consultant for industry input into proposed amendments to the Residential Tenancies Act 2003/2004
- Instructor – Chinook College – numerous courses on residential tenancy for investors and realtors. Review and amendment of online course materials.
- Instructor – Bow Valley College – foreclosure for legal assistants 2003.
- Guest speaker at numerous events for residential real estate investing and financing.
- Treasurer and Board of Directors for Flat 17 Condo Association 2005 to present.
- Alliance Aerospace Corporation - Board of Directors and VP legal 2007 - present.
- Bowmont Boxing Club – Director 2014 - Present
AREAS OF PRACTICE
General Litigation: Construction and builder’s lien claims, real property disputes, breach of contract, bankruptcy & insolvency, corporate, shareholder disputes, and collections.
Corporate/ Commercial Law: Incorporation, shareholder agreements, preparation and review of contracts, risk management, purchase & sale, employee agreements, and severance.
Family Law: Prenuptial agreements, domestic contracts, separation agreements, divorce, child support/parenting/custody, property and asset division, spousal support, and domestic violence.
Commercial and Residential Real Estate Law: Sale and purchase transactions, transfers, land development, commercial and residential tenancy, and contractual disputes.
Employment Law: Employee agreements, wrongful dismissal, and employment standards.
Personal Injury Law: Motor vehicle and professional negligence
Sport and Entertainment Law: Talent contracts, riders and intellectual property, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs.
Estate Law: Wills, powers of attorney, and personal directives.
- USA: Licensed Judge and Referee: Association of Boxing Commissions – Texas Combative Sports Commission.
- Canada: Level 3 amateur Boxing – Judge and Referee
- Level 2 Boxing Coach – Alberta
- Master Boxing Competitor - Alberta
- 2018 Masters Boxing World Champion
- Cutman/Cornerman: MMA and Boxing
IN THE MEDIA
Crra Lifetime Achievement award 2018