The lawsuit was triggered by the Feb. 4, 2018, death of 12-year-old Trai Schlichter and a subsequent CO leak just days later.
The lawsuit blames on-demand hot water heaters that weren’t being ventilated properly, causing carbon monoxide levels to be elevated. Among the acts of alleged negligence are “improper building, designing and installation of the on-demand hot water systems,”
It says the defendants didn’t take appropriate actions to prevent risk to those owning, or renting the 170 units in the complex despite having knowledge of the risks of CO exposure. The claim names both the complex builder and property manager as defendants.